Studying abroad can be expensive, even if the country is not. That is why finding some kind of a scholarship or financial aid is really important.
There are different scholarship opportunities in Turkey to enhance Turkey’s relations with other countries in the fields of higher education and culture. Most of the universities offer partial scholarships to those who have outstanding academic backgrounds which cover between 20% and 70% of the total tuition fees. You have got to search these programs individually depending on the university you wish to enrol in.
In addition to these financial aid opportunities, there is a government funded scholarship program called Türkiye Scholarships (Türkiye Bursları). This scholarship targets international students from all over the world. The Turkish Government annually offers scholarships to international students for Undergraduate and Graduate (Master/PhD) studies, as well as for Research and Turkish Language Summer Courses. The scholarship includes monthly allowance, accommodation, tuition fees, 1-year Turkish language course, travel costs, and health insurance.
This scholarship offers a lot of different programs:
1. Undergraduate Scholarship Programs
* Turkic Speaking Countries Scholarship Program:
This program is only for the citizens of following countries: Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan and Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus.
* Balkans Scholarship Program:
Balkans Scholarship Program is only for the citizens of following countries: Albania, Bosnia Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Macedonia, Serbia, Slovenia and Greece.
* Black Sea Scholarship Program:
Black Sea Scholarship Program is only for the citizens of following countries: Belarus, Czech Republic, Hungary, Armenia, Estonia, Georgia, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova, Poland, Romania, Russia, Slovakia and Ukraine.
* Harran Scholarship Program:
Harran Scholarship Program is only for the citizens of following countries: Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Pakistan, Syria, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Jordan, Palestine and Yemen.
* Türkiye-Africa Scholarship Program:
This Program is only for the citizens of following countries: Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Algeria, Djibouti, Chad, Ethiopia, Morocco, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Kenya, South Africa, Union of Comoros, Congo, Democratic Republic of Congo, Libya, Madagascar, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Central Africa, Senegal, Somalia, Tanzania, Tunisia, Uganda, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Gambia, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Cameroon, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Mauritius, Mauritania, Mozambique, Namibia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Swaziland, Togo, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Egypt, Sudan, South Sudan, Eritrea, Rwanda, Cape Verde and Democratic Republic of São Tomé and Príncipe.
* Bosphorus Scholarship Program:
It is only for the citizens of following countries: Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Bahamas, Bahrain, Barbados, United Arab Emirates, Bolivia, Brazil, Brunei, People’s Republic of China, East Timor, Dominician Republic, Dominica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Indonesia, Philippines, Grenada, Guatemala, South Korea, Haiti, India, Hong Kong (SAR), Jamaica, Japan, Cambodia, Qatar, Kiribati, Colombia, Kuwait, Cuba, Laos, Macao (SAR), Maldives, Malaysia, Mexico, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, Paraguay, Peru, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and Grenadines, Samoa, Singapore, Solomon, Sri Lanka, Saudi Arabia, Chile, Thailand, Taiwan, Trinidad and Tobago, Tuvalu, Oman, Uruguay, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Vietnam.
2. Graduate Scholarship Programs
* Ali Kuşçu Science and Technology Scholarship:
This Scholarship is designed for students who are willing to study at the fields of science, engineering and technology. It provides scholarships for Master’s and PhD degree. This program is available for non-Turkish nationals from all countries.
* İbni Haldun Social Sciences Scholarship:
İbni Haldun Social Sciences Scholarship is designed for students who are willing to study at the field of social sciences, including Islamic Studies and Turkish Language and Literature. It provides scholarships for Master’s and PhD degree.
İbni Haldun Social Sciences Scholarship Program is available for non-Turkish nationals from all countries.
3. Short Term Scholarships
* Turkish Language Program for Public Officials and Academicians:
KATİP is a scholarship program formed by the Turkish Presidency for foreign public officials, academicians and researchers to learn Turkish and to get to know Turkey closer. Participants study Turkish language at Istanbul University Language Center within the program period
determined as 8 months. Besides Turkish studies, it is aimed for participants to increase their knowledge on Turkey and establish sustainable ties with Turkey with various seminars, conferences, institution visits, tours, culture and art activities offered to them.
Scholarship program participants consist of candidates recommended by the foreign representative offices. Candidates recommended by the foreign representative offices apply through the internet and those who meet the scholarship criteria are accepted to the program.
* Research Scholarships:
Scholarship program is designed for student at Ph.D. level and available for non-Turkish nationals from all countries. Candidates must have acceptance from any university in Türkiye and fulfill the language criteria of that university.
* Success Scholarship Program:
Success Scholarship program is designed for students who are currently studying in university in Turkey on their own expenses without any scholarship.
Application criteria and process will be announced every year by a commission.
The monthly allowance allocated according to level of study is as follows:
• Undergraduate Students; 700 Turkish Lira • Master’s Students; 950 Turkish Lira • Ph.D. Students; 1,400 Turkish Lira • Research Scholarships; 3,000 Turkish Lira
Türkiye Scholarships students can stay in public university dormitories without paying any fees. Students who do not wish to stay in these dormitories can opt for other housing options on their own expenses.
III. Tuition and Fees
Türkiye Scholarships students do not pay any tuition or university fees.
IV. Health Expenses
Türkiye Scholarships students’ health expenses are covered by public health insurance.
V. Turkish Language Course
Türkiye Scholarships Students are subject to a Turkish language course for one year if they do not have proof of Turkish Language proficiency. Turkiye Scholarships students who will study a program in other languages instead of Turkish are also required to take the Turkish Language Course.
VI. Travel Expenses (One-off Flight Ticket)
Turkish Scholarship students are provided with a once time ticket for their first arrival in Turkey and for their departure after completing their study. If the student purchases the ticket, the amount will be reimbursed later on.
Candidates who want to apply for this scholarship must meet the following criteria:
- * Applicants should have graduated or are likely to graduate from an educational institution equivalent to that of Turkey’s.
- * Students who are currently studying in Turkey are not allowed to apply to the level that they are already studying.
- * Turkish citizens, those who lost Turkish citizenship or the ones who hold a dual nationality (Turkish and any other country’s nationality) cannot apply for this scholarship program.
- * Candidates applying to Undergraduate Degree should not be older than 21 years old on the date of application.
- * Candidates for Master’s studies should not be older than 30 years old on the date of application.
- * Candidates for Ph.D. studies should not be older than 35 years old on the date of application.
- * Research candidates should have a good level of Turkish, English or French and should not be older than 45 years old.
- * Candidates for the Turkish Language Summer Courses should be a university student or a graduate student.
- * Candidates should not be infected with a contagious disease (HIV, Hepatitis-C and etc.) or should not have a disease preventing his/her education in Turkey.
- * Applicants shouldn’t have any health problems barrier to education.
- * It is expected to have certain academic score from candidates for each program and scholarship level. It is mention in “Assessment and Selection” section.
- * Türkiye scholarships are open for all country citizens who meet these conditions.
- * Short-term scholarship programs may have additional application requirements. Please check the requirements during the application period.
- * Application can only be made on-line via the official website.
ASSESSMENT AND SELECTION
The selection of candidates is carried out according to academic achievement and interview performance. Türkiye Scholarships is a program based on academic success of the candidates. Each university and department might require additional qualifications though (such as the University Entrance Exams ex. GRE, GMAT, TOEFL, DELF, YDS, ALES, etc.)
Academic criteria of the applicants will be measured according to these documents:
• Diploma Grade • General Average Grades Received Until The Last Term (*) • University Entrance Exam Grade (if any) • High School Graduation Exam / Baccalaureate Grade (if any) • International Test Score (if any) • Other Academic Assessment Score (*) cumulative GPA
Candidates must have at least
• For Undergraduate degree applications 70 % • For Master’s degree and Ph.D. Degree applications 75 % • For Medical School applications 90 %
Candidates among those who completed the application fully will be invited to interview according to their academic success.
Interview information will be delivered by e-mails and online application system. Interviews will be held face to face or via communication tools in the countries where Turkish Consulates or Embassies don’t exist.
Applications will only be accepted through the application system at the official website, where candidates will fill in the information and upload their documents as requested. There are no institutions or individuals authorized to perform applications for Türkiye Scholarships on behalf of candidates.
Website: Official Scholarship Website: https://www.turkiyeburslari.gov.tr/